Ways To Get Involved
Each day, the National Domestic Violence Hotline receives hundreds of calls and online chats from people affected by domestic violence. In many cases, a call to The Hotline is a person’s first call for help. What will they do if no one answers?
The current economic uncertainties facing our country, along with recent natural disasters, are putting a strain on American families. We know that when families are under duress, incidences of abuse increase and calls to The Hotline rise accordingly.
If you’re passionate about helping us spread awareness and education about the issue of domestic violence, there are ways to get involved through donating, volunteering your time, or participating in one of the projects or drives sponsored by our partner organizations.
Interested in more ways to help in your daily life and community? Here are a few ideas:
- Be nonviolent and non-judgmental in your interactions with others.
- Challenge attitudes and beliefs that promote a culture of violence and victim-blaming or shaming.
- In personal situations, hold the abusive person, not the victims, accountable for their abusive behaviors.
- Learn how to support a friend or loved one if they tell you they are being abused.
- Raise awareness about domestic violence through the use of local media, community groups, schools or other forums.
- Educate young people in your life about abuse, violence prevention, and how to build healthy relationships. (Our youth-focused project, loveisrespect, can be a great resource!)
- Support legislation that offers greater protections and assistance for victims and increases accountability for abusive partners.
- Volunteer at a local crisis program or shelter.
- Donate money or requested items to your local programs or shelters.
Every donation, big or small, helps us continue the life-saving work we do every day. Your support helps ensure that someone is available to answer the most important call of a victim’s life.
Want to work for The Hotline? Check out our available job opportunities here.
Join The Hotline as we Unmask Domestic Violence in Austin on
Saturday, March 3, 2018.
Learn more about internship opportunities with The Hotline.
We’re proud to partner with these corporate entities, whose support of our mission enables us to reach more people affected by domestic violence.
The Giving Society
Our Giving Society provides special acknowledgement to those who support The Hotline through consecutive annual giving.