Legal Help

Legal Help

Depending on your situation, you might determine that taking legal action against an abusive partner is the best course for you.

Please note: The Hotline does not give legal advice, nor are we legal advocates. We may be able to help you locate a legal advocate in your area if needed. Please call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or chat online with us and our advocates can connect you with resources for legal help.

You can also visit WomensLaw.org and search state by state for information on laws including restraining orders and child custody information.

Not a U.S. citizen? Learn more at Casa de Esperanza about your rights as an immigrant and read more on our site.

According to the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), immigrant women who are experiencing domestic violence — and are married to abusers who are U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents — may qualify to self-petition for legal status under VAWA. Get more information here.

If your life is in danger, please call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number.

Learn More About Your Options and Rights


caret-downemailfacebookgoogleplusLove is Respect Heart Iconlinkedinmagnifying-glasspdfpinterestreddittumblrtwitter
Click to go back to top of page.