Today is the very first NO MORE Day of Action. Everyone is familiar with symbols for change and hope such as the pink breast cancer ribbon and the red AIDS ribbon. Today, in communities all over the country, advocates and supporters will unite in launching the first universal symbol to end domestic violence and sexual assault. The symbol has been in the making since 2009.
NO MORE seeks to remove the shame and stigma surrounding domestic violence and sexual assault. It aims to empower bystanders to speak up and get involved. Nearly every organization working to combat domestic violence and sexual assault in the U.S. is uniting under this one symbol.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline supports NO MORE as a symbol of dedication to spreading awareness about domestic violence. This is a topic that often remains hidden in our society. With your help, we can bring the realities of domestic violence into the light and make a real change.
What will be taking place today nationwide?
- A Congressional Briefing with Twilight’s Ashley Greene, highlighting survey results about the role of bystanders in responding to teen dating violence, domestic violence, and sexual assault.
- Law and Order SVU’s Mariska Hargitay headlines the National press Club Newsmakers Luncheon to speak about domestic violence and assault.
- The Washington Wizards recognize NO MORE in their game against Milwaukee Bucks at the Verizon Center and information is distributed to fans.
- Invisible War Screenings (open to the public) – Find one near you
How can you get involved?
- Join our Twitter chat at 3:00 PM EST with @NOMOREorg and @TheJHF (The Joyful Heart Foundation). Use the hashtags #NOMORE and #NOMOREDay
- Instagram: NOMOREorg with the hashtags #NOMOREDay and #NOMORE
- KNOW MORE. Go to www.nomore.org and learn the signs of domestic violence and sexual assault. Get the facts and know how to intervene safely. Request the NO MORE Toolkit.
- Say NO MORE. Break the silence. Speak out and seek help when you see this problem in your family, your community, your workplace or school.
- Share NO MORE. Share the NO MORE symbol with everyone you know. Facebook it. Tweet it. Pin it. Instagram it. Email it. Wear it. Help to increase awareness about the extent of domestic violence and sexual assault. Click here to shop NO MORE.
- Ensure NO MORE. Get involved. Volunteer in your community, or donate to a local, state or national domestic violence or sexual assault organization. Visit nomore.org to find out how.