Help Stop Violence Against Women Worldwide

Every day, women and girls around the world are subject to physical and sexual violence. Gender-based violence knows no physical or cultural boundaries, occurring in times of war and peace and in every single country around the world. Shockingly, rates are as high as 70% in some countries.

But this is a problem with a solution.

The U.S. government has a critical role to play in preventing and ending gender-based violence worldwide. And Members of Congress have a unique opportunity in this important effort.

Passing the International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) is one of the best ways the U.S. can help. This new bill – introduced by Representative Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) and soon to be introduced in the Senate, represents a crucial step in sticking up for and empowering women and girls worldwide. The International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) integrates violence prevention and response into U.S. foreign policy and supports proven programs that can reduce violence against women and girls.

On any given day, horrifying news stories about such violence appears across the news: The systematic rape of women in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Increasing assaults on the women and girls standing up for their rights in Afghanistan. Violence against women and girls in Haiti whose lives are already devastated by the earthquake. Sadly, the list could go on for days. These horrific instances of gender-based violence are not isolated to a few women in a few places- they are just the stories that make headlines.

Incidents of violence against women internationally can seem distant and incomprehensible. But the women affected share many of the same dreams and aspirations as our sisters, our daughters, our friends and lovers, and our neighbors. Violence takes the lives of millions of women and girls, and denies countless others their dignity and the chance to live safe, productive lives. And, in a world where tensions and violence within communities can jeopardize national and international security, it is vital that the United States take action.

We cannot turn away. We must end atrocities committed against women and girls in their homes and in their communities, during times of peace and times of conflict.

The United States Congress can help address these horrifying abuses. Lawmakers should move quickly to pass IVAWA and signal the United States’ commitment to stopping violence against women and girls worldwide.

You, your family, and your neighbors now can let lawmakers know you want more to be done to address violence against women globally. And you can do it right now.

Let your Member of Congress know that ending violence against women and girls is important to you. Send a message urging him or her to pass the International Violence Against Women Act.

To learn more, go to “Let’s Pass I-VAWA!”

1. lynn says:

i am married have been for 18yrs and my husband graduated from the police academy and then decided to join the military, his verbal, mental, emotional, abuse started yrs before the academy and only got worse,, i went to emergency dept they had to contact the police well when they showed up i was told that they knew my husband and i should shut up and go back home and shut my mouth, then a few yrs later i told his army sgt what was going on and he called my husband in and told him to control your wife, nobody can help me, he can find me whereever i go, my daughter is 17 , i have no money he makes sure of that, i have a broken down car that he wont fix or allow anyone to come over and fix, i want to leave get out of state where he can’t find me. i have medical problems fibromyalgia, way to many surgeries, i’m seeing a therapist and he told her to shove ( s ) up her ( a ) ,, i was so humiliated by what my husband said to my therapist,, he won’t stop his nastiness it’s gotten worse, i want to leave, i was told i could get a bus and possibly go but i can’t even get a buck from my husband someone please tell me what to do? where do i go? how do i leave the state with no money?

Thank you so much for sharing with our blog community. This sounds like such a scary situation. It also sounds like you have made many attempts to get safe, and it can be so frustrating when those aren’t addressed. We know that leaving any abusive situation is dangerous and difficult. Because he is in law enforcement, it sounds like you have experienced some specific challenges. Unfortunately, many people, even those in a position with power, do not understand what truly happens in abusive relationships. I am so glad that those experiences have not deterred you from continuing to seek help. Because this is such a complicated situation, I encourage you to reach out to our hotline at 1800-799-7233. An advocate is available 24/7 to brainstorm ways to leave safely as well as offer the support and encouragement that this process requires. Know that your call will be completely anonymous and confidential.

Until then,

2. Hopeless says:

I’ve been abused by my ex boyfriend for 5 years. Tonight was another bad night. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. He doesn’t pay rent or any bills, can’t hold down a job and none of his friends or family will take him in. If I try to make him leave he gets violent. If I call the cops they just look at me like I’m a worthless idiot and tell me that I have to go through a formal process of having him evicted. They won’t help me they just asked him to leave and he broke into my house and came back. I don’t know what to do. I keep a knife by my bed every night because I’m scared of what he’ll do to me.

3. mike says:

It is truly a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

4. nosunshine says:

my best friend left a potentially lethal marriage a couple years back with promises of legal help. in the end her abuser got custody of their kids, and refuses to let her be a part of their lives. if you’re planning on escaping you better have money for a real lawyer or you may lose your kids. he’s still able to mind torture her. this system is crap.

I am sorry to hear about your best friends experience. It can be really frustrating to witnesss someone that you care about getting hurt on so many different levels. You are right, its so important to have a safety plan when leaving an abusive relationship that includes finding helpful legal assistance. People who are abusive are so manipulative and often find ways to continue being abusive long after the relationship ends.

I encourage you to let your friend know that we are available to talk about options and brainstorm ways to be safe, both physically and emotionally. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 and is completely anonymous and confidential. Advocates can be reached at 1800-799-7233. You are also always welcomed to call us as well.

5. mama1 says:

I’ve been married for 30 years. My husband has always been manipulative, abusive, and subtle in his control around our children. Two of our three grown children are now married. Our younger son is engaged to a young lady with a 6 year old daughter. He has accused me of being overweight while dating (10 pounds over what I should’ve been) and again while pregnant with our firstborn son. I lost weight after all three children and have weighed between 110-113 pounds since (I’m 5’2″). I exercise 6 days a week. He’s mentally and physically abused me all 30 years. He’s been putting on weight all these years-eating his ice cream, fast food, and all junk food. Just 3 years ago he started substituting salads for fries when eating out. Now, I do my own thing and serve him. The only way to stop his temper tantrums and abuse is to never express my opinion and never address his obesity. He’s 6’2″ and 265+ pounds. He’s so gross looking that it’s been a year + since we’ve had sex (for 16+ years I:ve been trying to ignore his weight issue) and I can’t get over his insensitivity, abuse. and his obesity. I don’t want to break up our family (even though our grown children no longer live at home), but I’m miserable and afraid to ever express my opinion due to fear of the physical abuse starting again. Do I continue “turning the other cheek” or leave a friendless, unhappy marriage?

• HotlineAdmin_MCo says:

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been going through so much. We know here that abusive people want power and control. The way that they do this is by being abusive. It is absolutely not okay that he says those things to you. There is nothing that you could do to merit that type of treatment and this is not your fault. You are not breaking up your family, he is. His abusive behavior is what is causing the relationship to end but you are not the one doing anything. A healthy relationship is one that is based on trust and equality, where both partners are heard and respected. It sounds like that is not what is happening in your relationship.

I can’t tell you what to do. This is a decision that only you can make. If you want to talk about your situation and perhaps discuss next steps, give us a call. Our number is 1 (800) 799.7233. We are here 24/7 and completely confidential/anonymous.

Until then,
      Hotline Advocate MC

6. Sad Mimi says:

Hello my name is Mimi I have an abusive boyfriend he’s physical and verbally abuses me he’s an alcoholic when he drinks he’s verbally I’m tired of being called names I know him hittin me is not right I want him to get rehab thank you for reading this

• HotlineAdmin_MT says:

Sad Mimi,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very difficult and unhealthy situation, and you definitely should have to live like that.. While alcohol can sometimes magnify abusive behavior, it isn’t actually the cause of it, so rehab may not completely solve what you’re going through. Abuse is a personal issue and a chosen behavior, and for true change to be made takes the abusive person making the choice to take responsibility for their actions and work to change their behavior. If you would like to call us 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233, we would be happy to discuss your concerns and offer some possible strategies for working through this and keeping you safe.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Help Stop Violence Against Women Worldwide – National Domestic … http://www.thehotline.org/Passing the International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) is one of the best ways the U.S. can help. This new bill – introduced by Representative Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) and soon to be introduced in the Senate, … […]