Live Chat Services Have Arrived

online-chatOn February 1996 the Hotline took its very first call.

Today, backed by more than 17 years of dedicated work, we’re proud to announce the expansion of our national Hotline services to include live online chat.

Now, in addition to calling 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) you also have the option of chatting with an advocate right here on our new, revamped website. You’ll receive the same one-on-one, real-time, confidential information from a trained advocate as you do if you call by phone.

This service is made possible by a $250,000 donation from Verizon, through its HopeLine program. Verizon has also given the hotline an opportunity to receive an additional $250,000 in matching funds through a national wireless phone drive. Learn how you can help.

What’s so great about chat?

• If you don’t feel comfortable talking with an advocate on the phone, now you have another option for getting direct help.
  • If it’s not safe for you to call, chatting might be a better option for you.
  • It allows us to bridge devices. We know that people are accessing the Internet through their phones more and more, so now our site (and chat) can be reached via your mobile phone.

What else do you need to know?

• You don’t need to download anything to use it — just click the chat icon.
  • This is not a public chat room — it’s a one-on-one chat session with an advocate.
  • It’s still completely confidential and anonymous.

Who Can Chat? About What?

Anyone seeking help or questioning something going on in their relationship can chat. You can ask for advice for yourself or for a friend in need. Every day we speak with victims, survivors, friends, family, coworkers, those who identify as abusive and others.

The support and assistance you’ll receive via chat is the same as what you’ll receive via telephone. Check out “What Can The Hotline Help You With?” to learn more.

If you have any questions or concerns about the service, leave a comment below. As always, your safety is most important to us and it could be helpful to remember to click out of the site when you’re done chatting and clear your online history.

Watch this video to see how to chat:

1. Jay says:

Just a general awareness- I saw a link to the website the other day, and the adverstisements in particular on that site are concerning. It might be worth having someone checking out to make sure nothing shady is going on. Thank you for all the work that you do!

• HotlineAdmin_AS says:

Hi Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Unfortunately, we do get spam comments and links from time to time. We do try to carefully monitor the posts to support the guidelines for our community, making this a safe place for everyone.

Thanks again!

Hotline Advocate AS

• Angel says:

My husband has been hitting me more often. Just two days ago my husband had his friends over. Because I disrespected him. My husband and his friends force me to have sex I told them no. I don’t know what to do

• HotlineAdmin_MK says:

Thank you for reaching out for help. Not only are you experiencing physical abuse, but what you just described above is sexual abuse. It is never okay for anyone to make you commit any form of sexual act against your will. Both physical and sexual abuse both pose a great risk to your safety and well being. I know you expressed that you don’t know what to do in your current abusive situation and so I would like to encourage you to call our 24-7 hotline. Advocates are here to talk to you and provide you with support and options. Call us at 1-800-799-7233. You deserve to be treated better, with love and respect, not abuse. Please call us, we are here for you.

Hotline Advocate MK

2. Jacquie says:

Can someone please link me to the article on why joint counseling does not work for situations of domestic abuse? The link I found is broken and I have a friend who is about to make this serious error. I need to find this as soon as possible, please.

Thank you so much for your help.

3. kiana says:

hey you guys i am doing a graduation requirement paper on domestic violence and i need more info on domestic violence any assistance will be very apreciated thanks :)

• Sonia says:

Thank you for reaching out to our blog community. I encourage you to check out our website for more information around domestic violence. You can follow this link for some statistics around abusive relationships.

You can also feel free to give us, the National Domestic Violence Hotline,a call at 1800-799-7233. An advocate may be able to answer some general questions or send you a packet of information.

Good luck with your paper!

4. Kate says:

Please give us a call at 1.800.799.7233 if you’d like to discuss something you’re going through. You may also visit our website and chat with an advocate Monday – Friday from 9 AM to 7 PM CST to chat with an advocate about what you’re seeking help for.
    All service are completely confidential and anonymous.

Hotline Advocate KK

• HotlineAdmin_AS says:

Hi Ann,

Thanks for reaching out for information on different types of abuse. Yes, financial abuse is real; we refer to it as economic abuse, and it can take many different forms. It can be someone forcing their partner to stay home and not earn income, or have access to any bank accounts, credit cards or cash, or it can be forcing their partner to work to support them and pay the bills. The motivation behind it is the same unbalanced control and power that we see with other types of abuse.

If you would like to get more information, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-799-7233 anytime (we’re available 24/7) or read more here on our website.

Hotline Advocate AS

5. mightjustbme says:

it doesn’t do anything when I click the chat link and the only options I see for texting are for suicidal teens I need to talk but cannot physically talk …..please help

• HotlineAdmin_AS says:

Hi Might,

We’re sorry that you’ve had difficulty connecting to our Domestic Violence chat advocates. They are currently available Monday to Friday 9AM—7PM CST. At this time, the Hotline is not offering text support. We hope that you’re able to reach us and get the support and help that you’re looking for.

Hotline Advocate AS

6. HotlineAdmin_AS says:

Hi Cheyenne,

I’m sorry to hear about your friend. It must be a really scary situation for you both, and I’m so glad that she has someone who cares enough to reach out for help. If you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-799-7233, our advocates can discuss the situation with you and help you figure out what options are available to help your friend. If your friend would like to call, she can always reach us 24/7. Our calls are confidential and anonymous.

Hotline Advocate AS

7. Cryssy says:

Hi, I recently left my boyfriend of four years– I have a one year old son with him. He is trying to take me to court to take him from me…… My aunt suggested I find a domestic violence advocate because I feel like maybe it would’ve been easier to stay and I am getting no support (women wise). All the men in my family are helping me… Non of the women. I have no positive role models that are females over here….. I desperately want that. Just to know I did the right thing….. I suppose…. I don’t really know. I just want someone to speak to.

• HotlineAdmin_AS says:

Hi Cryssy,

I’m so glad that you reached out to our online community. It can be so difficult to go through a break up and the legal process of custody; even harder when you don’t have the support you need from the women in your life. Your aunt’s recommendation sounds like a good one – having the support and expertise of a legal advocate, especially one trained in domestic violence can be a great resource during this time. Many survivors also find counseling and support groups really helpful as they provide the opportunity to talk to others who have had similar experiences and can provide information and support.

Many domestic violence programs offer resources like legal advocacy and counseling and we would be happy to provide you with all of the information we can. Our hotline is also a safe place for you to talk, anytime. We are anonymous and confidential and you can reach our advocates 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233. Please give us a call anytime you’d like to talk. We’re here for you.

Hotline Advocate AS

• HotlineAdmin_MK says:

Please give us a call on our 24 hour hotline: 1-800-799-7233. We have advocates ready to listen and support you and are confidential and anonymous.

8. c says:

I have this sinking feeling in my chest. like its just hopeless.. theres no getting away from my situation. at work. they all think my life is so good. I have a beautiful baby boy, they’ve seen his father and all think hes so hansom and “nice”. they don’t know whats really goin on and I wouldn’t want to tell them.. im weak and hopeless and pathetic for letting my self be in this situation but I don’t need them knowing it too.