Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Today is NO MORE Day

Today is the very first NO MORE Day of Action. Everyone is familiar with symbols for change and hope such as the pink breast cancer ribbon and the red AIDS ribbon. Today, in communities all over the country, advocates and supporters will unite in launching the first universal symbol to end domestic violence and sexual assault. The symbol has been in the making since 2009.

NO MORE seeks to remove the shame and stigma surrounding domestic violence and sexual assault. It aims to empower bystanders to speak up and get involved. Nearly every organization working to combat domestic violence and sexual assault in the U.S. is uniting under this one symbol.

The National Domestic Violence Hotline supports NO MORE as a symbol of dedication to spreading awareness about domestic violence. This is a topic that often remains hidden in our society. With your help, we can bring the realities of domestic violence into the light and make a real change.

What will be taking place today nationwide?

• A Congressional Briefing with Twilight’s Ashley Greene, highlighting survey results about the role of bystanders in responding to teen dating violence, domestic violence, and sexual assault.
  • Law and Order SVU’s Mariska Hargitay headlines the National press Club Newsmakers Luncheon to speak about domestic violence and assault.
  • The Washington Wizards recognize NO MORE in their game against Milwaukee Bucks at the Verizon Center and information is distributed to fans.
  • Invisible War Screenings (open to the public) – Find one near you

How can you get involved?

• Join our Twitter chat at 3:00 PM EST with @NOMOREorg and @TheJHF (The Joyful Heart Foundation). Use the hashtags #NOMORE and #NOMOREDay
  • Instagram: NOMOREorg with the hashtags #NOMOREDay and #NOMORE
  • KNOW MORE. Go to www.nomore.org and learn the signs of domestic violence and sexual assault. Get the facts and know how to intervene safely. Request the NO MORE Toolkit.
  • Say NO MORE. Break the silence. Speak out and seek help when you see this problem in your family, your community, your workplace or school.
  • Share NO MORE. Share the NO MORE symbol with everyone you know. Facebook it. Tweet it. Pin it. Instagram it. Email it. Wear it. Help to increase awareness about the extent of domestic violence and sexual assault. Click here to shop NO MORE.
  • Ensure NO MORE. Get involved. Volunteer in your community, or donate to a local, state or national domestic violence or sexual assault organization. Visit nomore.org to find out how.
  1. ann says:

Im a victum of domestic violence and i went thru it for years and i want to help others who are going thru it and let them know thats its ok to talk to someone.i know i was always affraid to talk to anyone thinking they would blame me and i found thats not the case.its not your fault.

• HotlineAdmin_VW says:

Dear Ann, Your post was a welcome reminder to any victim of Domestic Violence, that there is help and hope, if they can just reach out safely. Abusers threaten their victims that reaching out to anyone will damage the victims, only make things worse for the victim, they won’t be believed, they will loose their friends, and families will call them, “trouble makers”. And worst of all, the victims will be blamed for what is happening. Sadly, there are times when this actually happens. It does take a person with special information and experience to understand the dynamics of DV. Thank you for witnessing for your true experience. You are already helping. But I would guess,the DV program near you would love to have a new knowledgeable volunteer!

To you and any victim of DV reading this post. There is always someone at the National Domestic Violence Hotline to talk with. Even if you are not ready to leave immediately, you can talk to us, we are confidential and anonymous, we are here to talk– not to judge. Please call 1-800-799-7233.

2. Debbie Carr says:

I want to thank you for your story. After i read it i started to cry, I know i need to leave this abusive man, and i want to, but why do i stay? I ask that question to my self everyday of my life! I have the best parents in the world begging me everyday to come home and 4 older sisters begging me to leave. What is wrong with me. I have been doing this for 14 years and i want out so bad. I have missed so many family times with my family and i miss the happy times that i spent with my family when i was younger. I feel guilty when i do decide to leave. I am so confused, but i do know that this is not love , becaus love should not hurt! Anyone that calles you stupid, whore ,slut, cunt, bitch, and everything ealse in the world does not love you. He drinks beer til he is out of his mind and tears up the house. He keeps me up til 3 or 4 in the morning screaming and cussing and throughing things. i need to get out ,I have started having health proublems because of all of this stress.could you please give me some advice or in sight on how you got out. Thank You so much. Debbie

• HotlineAdmin_MCo says:

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your situation with us. It takes a lot of strength to reach out and I’m glad that you did.

Domestic violence relationships can be very complicated and leaving is never easy for anyone. There is nothing wrong with you because you don’t cause the abuse to happen. There is nothing that you can do to make someone abuse you. Leaving can be very scary and overwhelming. It is very common that survivors of violence feel confused or helpless. And you are absolutely right; emotional abuse is not love even if your partner is telling you that it is or that it is your fault.

I would encourage you to call us at the Hotline, 1-(800)-799-7233. You will be able to speak to an advocate that can develop a plan for your safety and connect you to local resources that can support you through this transition. Situations like these can be very lonely and isolating but know that you don’t have to go through this alone. We are here to support you in anyway that we can.

All the best,
      HotlineAdvocate_MC

3. William says:

What if the man is the one being abused. I have been going through it. I probly wont be back here but over the last few years I didnt even notice the signs. Once I started counsoling for myself and my injury i saw it. Everything I did was what the councelor was telling me to do. Now tonight it escallated to SHE actually hit me. It came out of now where, I was not expecting it during yet another arguement on her insecurity. I called the police and even with her admiting to it, they did not arrest and said I would have to file for a supreme court injunction. If the shoe was they other way around I would have gone off in cuffs. I not saying I cant defend myself but if I had the night could have been terrible for me as the male being abused. I let her get away for far to long and now whith this escalation the police refused to remove her. She left, came back and started again and the police still refused to press charges. I guess my councelor will have something to say about it, all I can do is stay up or leave. I am on so much pain killer due to a faulty back opperation a year ago that I fall asleep when driving and the closest reletive I can go to is an hour away. Her mother is 5 min away for her. I just dont understand the double standerd. Its not that I want her to be in trouble as she has alot to lose as well but still 2 calls and they still dont do anything because its the male with the complaint. the male that has been hit, the male that has been trying and yet still I once again get no sleep in fear of what will come next ??????

• HotlineAdmin_AB says:

William I am sorry to hear that you were subjected to both verbal and physical abuse. It sounds like you your experience with calling the police was also very frustrating. It takes courage to share your story, but it is good you did. We here at the National Domestic Violence Hotline are committed to working with men like yourself suffering domestic violence and abuse. If you have an opportunity to call us when it is safe our number for the NDVH Hotline is 1-800-799-7233. We would welcome the chance to try to help you with information and resources.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] recognizable, like the pink breast cancer ribbon or the yellow support our troops ribbon. Source: The Hotline, NO […]