Chad Johnson Arrested for Domestic Violence – A Lesson in Consequences

This week news broke that Chad Johnson, aka Ochocinco, was arrested for domestic violence charges on Saturday after allegedly headbutting his wife Evelyn Lozada in an argument.

The fallout from Saturday’s events have been significant. Not only was Johnson released from his contract with the Miami Dolphins, his firing was even filmed and aired for all of America to see on the HBO’s show, “Hard Knocks.” Lozada and Johnson had already filmed their own reality TV show called “Ev and Ocho” but following Saturday’s arrest, VH1 announced their decision to not air the show. Johnson has already lost endorsement deals as a result, and is likely to lose more in the coming months.

Lozada has since filled for divorce and issued a public statement, expressing her disappointment that Johnson had not accepted responsibility for his actions.

Johnson also released a statement, saying:

I would like to apologize to everyone for the recent events that have occurred. I would like to wish Evelyn well and will never say anything bad about her because I truly love her to death. I will continue to be positive and train hard for another opportunity in the NFL. To all the fans and supporters I have disappointed, you have my sincerest apologies. I will stay positive and get through this tough period in my life.

This high profile situation reminds us that anyone, no matter age, race or financial status, can experience domestic violence. It can happen in any relationship. It causes us to reflect on the issue and explore how we understand domestic violence in our communities.

The consequences of Johnson’s behaviors have been heavily discussed in articles about the arrest. Within the span of a week, he lost his wife, his job, his reputation and more. This was a major reminder of what an abuser has to lose when he or she acts violently towards a partner. Abuse is always about power and control. Through Johnson exerting power over one person, he lost control over most other aspects of his life.

For Lozada, we wish healing and support. If you or someone you know experiences abuse, please remember that you can always call The Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224.

(Photo by Daniel X. O’Neil)

1. Kim says:

As a survivor of DV, I hope that she educated herself thru her time of healing, so that she too may move on…Its a long hard road but I am proof the Hotline works and all things are possible…I wish them all well including Chad, he also needs education.

2. Janet says:

I grew up with domestic violence and from there have been in relationships which were violent.
    Six years ago I was a victim of rape, gang rape! I was drugged and lost my memory. Was diagnosed with toxic poisoning from a medication I was taking at the time and dementia. But of course, later, when the nightmares started and I did not know why until my path crossed with the perpetrator. It as like a domino affect. memories started to come back, flashbacks and post traumatic stress disorder. I was being treated by a shrink for depression since I kept crying. And I put the pieces together and did research on roofies. He is still out there but I survived and he nearly killed me. The medical profession failed in testing me for any drugs and assumed it was the medication I was taking since a friend who came to my aid and saw I was acting strange called an ambulance. My hair was falling out I lost weight and continued to have black outs. There is and was no evidence, since I did not even know myself until years later what really happened.

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for sharing your story with our Share Your Voice blog community. It takes a lot of courage to speak out about what you’ve been through. It’s not uncommon when you’ve been through trauma to have physical symptoms and to be dealing with PTSD. Are you still recieving support services or counseling? You are welcome to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline if you’d like an advocate to look and see what kind of sexual assault support sevices are available locally. You deserve support. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-799-7233. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential.

3. rocio says:

Please I don’t what to do every time he gets drunk he starts fighting. He doesn’t have a stable job I’m the only one that is working.he calls me names he disrespectcs and talks bad about my family.I told him to leave the house. Please help….

Alcohol can definetly make matters worse in an abusive home. Is it possible for you to leave and go to a friend or family members house if he won’t leave? No one deserves to be verbally abused and you always have the right to call the police if you feel like you are in danger. If you would like to talk further about your situation, advocates are available 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233. Thank you for reaching out to our blog community.

4. J says:

All of these comments sound like my situation. I grew up in a alcoholic household. I tend to pick men who smoke ,drink or do drugs I don’t know why. I don’t do any of those things because my parents smoked and drank. My latest is a abusive alcoholic but when he is sober and lucid he is a very loving and giving man and we go to the same church.

But the latest episode yesterday he got mad at someting I said even though he had been saying things about me and he threw a container which hit my arm and now I have a lump and a bruise underneath thr skin and it hurts all the way to my fingers. But he will be apologetic in a couple of days.

I need to talk to someone in my area anonymously in OH.

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for contacing the Share Your Voice blog. From what you’ve shared, it sounds like your partner is very emotionally and physically abusive towards you. Drunk or not, there is no reason for him to throw things at you or to call you names. Oftentimes, an abuser will use things like drug or alcohol use as excuses of why they are abusive. What we know though, is that there are many people out there who are alcoholics, but whom chose not to abuse their partners. We always believe there is a choice. You don’t deserve to be treated like that. If you’d like to talk to someone about what’s going on, you are always welcome to call and speak with an advocate here on the National Hotline. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential. You can reach us at 1-800-799-7233.

Hotline Advocate_RE

5. N says:

Well I have been in a relationship for almost first he was
    Sweet. He was just perfect. I had just been evictedso my boyfriend took me
    In. I’m a woman that likes to work but when that happened he told
    Me I didn’t have too. That by me studying would be enough. And at the time it sounded
    Fair. We have four dogs in which his pitbull bit me for now I can’t
    Walk. But today he told me that I dont anything around the house. I cook or
    Clean nothing. That a woman needs to fulfill what a man demands.
    That he shouldn’t tell me what to do and that I should already know it.
    I like a house clean but how can I clean if the man that keeps making a mess is him. I cook but since we live near his mom he tells me let’s go eat at my moms. Ido things for him but he thinks I dont. I don’t feel appreciated at all. He thinks I make fun of him when we are with his friends. He thinks that bc I am with him I have to make him breakfast every morning. He thinks I put him down when I tell him to be quiet bc were playing taboo. I don’t know how it got to this.

• HotlineAdmin_CH says:

I am sorry to hear about the situation between you and your boyfriend; it definitely seems unhealthy. You deserve to feel safe in your relationship and to be treated with the utmost respect. If you’d like to discuss your situation further and find out what resources are available in your community, please feel free to contact our hotline at 800-799-7233. Advocates are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

6. SALLY says:

Is it cosidered Domestic Violence when the abuse is coming from someone other then your partner such a family member like Mother and Sister?

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for contacting the Share Your Voice blog. The laws vary from state to state about what constitutes domestic violence. In some states, it can include abuse from a family member, and in others, it may just be intimate partner violence. A good place to find information about state laws is, under the section “Know the Laws.” If you have any other questions, you are welcome to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

7. pamela says:

my live in partner is now smoking that Spice and has become unstble and very paranoid. he bought 5 guns and then a safe he bolted to the floor in the bedroom…he is threateniong to throw all my stuff out in yard or lock the bedroom door so i cannot get in he wants me to leave i have no money and no place to go…he yells and gets in my face…waved a cigerret so close to my face it burned me…i called sherriff but because he is such a big and violent man , after he broke my phone and i had to go to a store to call for help the sherriff office did not file charges against him for fdenying use of 911…if i call sherriff somehow i will become homeless..and i am not the one who has lost control…last night he smoked that stuff…i went to bed at 7:30pm and when i woke up at 1:30am all the doors were open, tv on porch was on cats were left on porch front door was wide open…i am literally scared to death he is going to kill me in a smoke induced stupor.

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for contacting the Share Your Voice blog. I am really concerned about your safety. Living with an abusive partner who owns firearms can increase the level of danger for you. Also, his unpredictable behavior and drug use sound really scary. There is no excuse for him to treat you like this. When you get a safe chance, I would encourage you to call and speak with an advocate here on the National Domestic Violence Hotline, at 1-800-799-7233. We are 24/7, so you could call at any point when you can be safe to talk. An advocate on the Hotline could talk to you about what’s going on, and help you safety plan around living in this kind of environment. Also, there may be a local domestic violence shelter that could help. Please give us a call when you get a chance.

8. Sharon says:

Iv’e been told my only choice is to leave….I have properties and children that still count on me while they finish college….If I lose everthing they do too. This is the only crime where the criminal gets the keys to the house and the bank account.. the woman and children should go into the gutter..Attorneys are more than happy to take his money and use your marital income against you…. there are no attorneys I could pay…. If an intruder came into your home and you defended your family you would be considered a hero…. If its your husband and you fight back you go to jail. Mine is trained…I am 4’11” 100 lbs The judge put a restraining order on me…. All bogus and provable that it was a lie…. my story is complicated…. I have learned there is little meaningful help….. I looked and found none. OJ Simpson, Sandusky, etc…. just a few of the good old boys that were given the bro’s before ho’s salute… when do women get the support…..

• HotlineAdmin_CH says:

I am so sorry to hear the difficulties you face do to your abusive husband. It is truly unfortunate that often the justice system does not protect abused women and therefore many are left vulnerable. It can feel very lonely and overwhelming to consider all of the things that could happen if you left the situation. Most communities do have domestic violence programs that can offer women support throughout the process of getting to safety whether that’s an immediate need or a future goal. You are always welcome to call the hotline at 800-799-7233 (24/7) and we can locate what supportive resources are available in your area. If you feel that you are not ready to leave that is completely your choice but there are some things to keep in mind while living with an abuser. Please check out our webpage entitled Safety Planning ( ) for some important information about staying safe. Thank you so much for sharing your story with the Share Your Voice blog community and we encourage you to continue to use this forum as a source of support.

9. Janet says:

I can truely relate to what your going through. In the past two years I had to leave my home and have and still go through so much day to day due to an abusive husband. I had a decent job, which meant I was not qualified for any legal assistance or beniftis. Police would come take notes and threaten to take my child away if they had to come back to our home, so that kept me from calling when I was getting abused. I was told by a cop quote ” well you got a good job, why don’t you move”. Like it was that easy. Eventually, with no other solution I did just that… I would not let a home or bank account be what kept me in such a tormenting situation. It is hard, but worth it, if you are willing to be very strong and resiliant. I get get text message from my ex, he shows off things that goes on in the house. I laugh cause he still at this stage tries to antagonize me but again that house is shell. i am flesh and blood who deserves better.,,,You deserve better. Additionally you need to talk to your children, especially if they are at college age. i am sure they will be supportive and understand why you had to make your decision to leave. They are your children and will love you no matter what happens.

10. Muna says:

I would like to share my story coz today is a day I have been waiting for 22 years. I was raped when I was very young and suffered from PTSD for so long. I just finished EMDR Eye Movement Desentisation and Reprocessing therapy with my councelor. And I am free now, I feel different so all I want to say is those of us who are suffering from rape, domestic abuse or any psychological and mental issue, I would like to say Never Give Up. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. I never thought I will turn off the light and sleep at night, never thought I would turn my back to my door and sleep and never thought also I would sleep without the fear of being raped again but though it takes a long time I am healed finally. Now, all I want to do is help those who have similar experience like mine and also those who are domestically abused. No matter what the abuser makes you feel low at your self never believe that..its only a deceit you are much more better than that and there are lots of people who love you, care for you and respect you for who you are. Donot allow the abuser to underestimate you. you are not what he sees in you. you are someone special, strong and courageous person and have a better vision of yourself.

It is wonderful to hear that you are free and safe. Thank you for your encouraging words to our blog readers. It is important for those who are still in an abusive relationship to read the survival stories. Thank you for reaching out to the Share Your Voice community.

11. pamela says:

i’ve been married for two months now and my husband verbally abuses me. he makes me feel like garbage. i love him so much. i try my best to please him in all ways but he never seems satisfied.he complaines about me being too skinny( size 12) he mocks the way i talk,gives me dirty looks, and he always want me to give him oral sex. he never tries to satisfy me sexually. when ever he goes out and stay all day he don’t want me to ask him any questions about where he’s been.he’s 6 years older than me and this is my first marriage. i know i’m foolish to think he will change.i’m afraid if i leave that my friends and family will see me as a failure. i feel kile i’m on the verge of committing suicide.PLEASE HELP.

I am very glad you reached out for help through our blog community. Being in an abusive relationship can be confusing because you have love for someone even though you know they are hurting you and it is normal to hope that he will change. You are not a failure. There is no way you could have known that this man you met and married would become someone who is abusive. It sounds like you are in a lot of pain. Please call the Hotline for further support and guidance at 1-800-799-7233. Advocates are available 24 hours a day. If suicidal thoughts are clouding your mind you can also call the Suicide Hotline 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.

I hope you will continue to reach out for help. You are not alone.
      We have removed your last name for your safety.

12. Mickey says:

Hi, I read your story and all I want to say is be careful he doesn’t keep track of your cell phone calls. All it takes is a call that he can trace and you may have a problem. I advise you to seek a place to live and believe me the DV shelter can be home until your on your feet again. They will help you in so many ways. Take care, stay safe and get out!

• HotlineAdmin_CH says:

Thank you for offering your support to our blog community. I want to direct you though, to our community guidelines ( We ask that you please refrain from offering advice or telling others what they should or shouldn’t do. Because each situation has it’s own differences and complexities, some avenues may be helpful for one person but not another. We ask that victims speak to a domestic violence advocate in order to determine the best plan of action for their particular circumstances. Please continue to participate in our blog, but instead offer words of encouragement rather than advice.