blog-imgs-08

Teacher Donates Cell Phone Penalty to The Hotline

At The Hotline, we are moved by the men and women who support our work in protecting victims of domestic violence. A few weeks ago, we received a special letter containing a donation. It was from a college professor and it came with a generous financial contribution. The professor wished to remain anonymous. The letter read,

“With growing frustration over cell phones ringing in my classroom, I decided to turn the distraction into something more positive. I told my students at the beginning of the semester that each time their cell phone rang in class, they would be asked to donate $5 to your program. I then passed a collection jar at the end of the semester, and this gift was the end result. I hope you can put it good use.”

We circulated the letter through our office and smiled as we read it. It’s such a simple but creative way to make a difference. This model of giving can be replicated by all of us, in finding ways to connect our daily lives to the issues we care deeply about.

Thank you, Professor, for teaching a valuable lesson on charity to your students and us.

1. Cathy says:

I’m a college teacher myself, and I’m copying this and sending it out to my colleagues before we begin the Fall semester. What a wonderful suggestion!

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thanks for the comment Cathy! Feel free to browse our ‘Resources’ section if you need any more information on domestic violence.

2. Amy says:

I don’t know if this is the proper forum, but at this point I don’t know what to do. I live in fear of my life. My husband says I am the crazy one and lets everyone know, because behind closed doors he tells me how worthless I am, threatens to kill me and tells me I deserve everything that he does. He becomes physical and blames me. I cannot go to the police (a whole other story) there are no children involved so I will end up homeless. I have no funds to relocate and no family to help. I am isolated and completely alone. Christmas is coming and every night I just pray for a Christmas miracle.

• HotlineAdmin_RF says:

Amy,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to our blog community. I can see that you have been in a very frightening situation with limited resources. You don’t deserve to be made to feel unsafe at home and it is never your fault that he becomes abusive towards you. Abuse is a choice, all behavior is a choice, and nothing could have forced him to be abusive towards you. We do understand that sometimes using the police is not an option, but there may be other possibilities available to you. Not having children doesn’t always mean that you will not be able to get resources, a lot of domestic violence programs are able to help support victims of domestic violence either way. A lot of abusive partners like to turn responsibility of their actions to their partner, you’re not crazy and do not deserve to be told so so that he can cover up his actions. Our program would be happy to help support you and talk about options. We are available here 24 hours a day and completely anonymous and confidential. Our hotline is 800-799-7233, if you are able to safely reach out, know that we are always here.
      Take Care.
      Hotline Advocate RF

3. Tina ---- says:

My mom died in Oct. Of 2014 and I am or we are being evicted . By my brother none the less I have 2 teenaged boys and my abusive husband… My husband hase been working (finally after years of not) Heres the kicker Hes saving his money (paid cash daily).. Hes says for a rainy day. We have been sleeping in seperate rooms for a minute know. I have no money and definetly no place to go… Im lost without my mom. Ive been a housewife all my life im 53.. This is the first time ive reached out to anyone .
    Sincerely,
    Lost In America
    T.G.

• HotlineAdmin_CC says:

Hi Tina,

That certainly sounds like a difficult situation that would be best served by communicating with you directly. If you would please call us 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233, we would be happy to discuss your concerns and offer some strategies.

Hotline Advocate CC