Ten Things You Might Not Know About Sexual Assault

Each year approximately 207,754 sexual assaults occur in the United States (RAINN). However, despite that astounding number, sexual assault is still not widely discussed.

To conclude Sexual Assault Awareness Month, please read this list of 10 things you might not know about sexual assault. Sexual assault is not just rape or attempted rape — it is any unwanted sexual contact or advances, preventing someone or being prevented from using birth control and/or rough or violent sexual behavior. Read the definition from The National Center for Victims of Crime to learn more.

1. One in every 10 sexual assault victims is male (RAINN).

2. Sexual assault occurs as often during the daytime as it does during the night (Stanford Sexual Assault and Relationship Abuse Prevention & Support).

3. Forty-four percent of sexual assault victims are under the age of 18. Eighty percent of sexual assault victims are under the age of 30 (RAINN).

4. Victims of sexual assault are more prone to depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, trouble sleeping and anxiety disorders (CDC).

5. Two-thirds of assaults are perpetrated by someone whom the victim knows. Thirty-eight percent of rapists are a friend or acquaintance of the victim (RAINN).

6. Nearly one in four women will experience sexual assault in their lifetime (National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence).

7. Half of all sexual assaults happen within one mile of the victim’s home (RAINN).

8. Out of every 100 sexual assaults, only 46 get reported to the police. Out of those 46 reports, only 12 will lead to an arrest. Out of those 12 arrests, only nine attackers will be prosecuted.

9. Out of those prosecutions, only five will lead to a felony conviction. Despite those five convictions, only three of the perpetrators spend a single day in jail. That means that 97 attackers walk away unscathed (RAINN).

10. Some good news: the instances of sexual assault have decreased nearly 60 percent since 2000, although they are still staggeringly high (U.S. Department of Justice).

Despite the decrease in frequency over the past decade, sexual assault is still an extremely prevalent and pervasive crime in the United States. Please take a moment today to spread awareness about this critical issue.

1. Shannon says:

Rape may be defined a particular way however in our county, if you are mentally ill, brain injured, a substance abuser who had consensul sex with the perpetrator earlier, the perpetrator can change the “style” of sex even though you have clearly said no. The State Attorney says, “If it is not a sure win, I won’t prosecute it” therefore the slime moves to his next victim. You may wonder why the victim is mentally ill, brain injured, and a substance abuser…it is because she was continuously assaulted as an 11 year old child and the State Attorney says, “If is not a sure win, I won’t prosecute it.” You see (sexual assault) on a child is against the law, now how do you prove it. Florida promotes violence against women!! At least in our county.

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. It is difficult to say what any county or state does regarding sexual assault OR domestic violence, because the laws vary from state to state. If you’d like to find some local support services for sexual assault or abuse, you are always welcome to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and are completely anonymous and confidential.

2. liz says:

I lived with the abuse and thought this was all I can be. I can’t get away right? If I leave him he will kill me is what he said. My only safety was him getting attested for something else and family to say I ran away from home and they had no idea where I was and that they thought I ran away with him. My life is better

• HotlineAdmin_SS says:

It sounds like you were in a very scary situation and it is good to hear that you got out safely and that your life is better now. Thank you for sharing that piece of your story with our blog community. Please know that you are welcome to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 if you would like to talk or if you would like referrals to local resources in your area.

3. whocares says:

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

We know that sometimes calling the police may not be an option, but you deserve to be safe. You are always welcome to call and speak with someone at the National Domestic Violence Hotline, at 1-800-799-SAFE. Advocates are available 24/7, and the Hotline is completely anonymous and confidential.

4. meg says:

I am a Japanese.
    English cannot be spoken.
    It is said by the American master that he would like to be divorced.
    Because the American wife of a reason is good.
    it is disagreeable that he is a Japanese — I do not want to also buy Japanese food
    I do not want television to see that of Japan for at least 1 minute, either.
    I do not want to also hear Japanese.
    A daughter’s passport is also taken by him and his mother has it.
    It does not return.
    It does not return, unless it is listening to what is said.
    Place children and go away in one person is said.
    You are a useless mother.
    your life is garbage — it is called –.
    No money is also given but it complains it about my following children’s pediatrics.
    If a trial is used, you will be said to become one person.
    It cannot go to Japan throughout life, either.
    It stops going to meet a Japanese family.
    A reason does not have the automobile license which cannot speak English and which cannot work.
    A translator is required.
    I would like to consult.
    help me

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Thank you for contacting the Share Your Voice blog. It takes alot of courage to reach out for help. From what you’ve shared, it sounds like you are dealing with someone who is controlling in your relationship. If you’d like to talk to someone about what’s going on in your situation, you are welcome to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. This is a toll-free line that deals with domestic violence and abuse. An advocate on the Holtine can access a Japanese interpreter if that would be make it easier for you.

5. Christina says:

You don’t have to be told you are a good mother by a man, to be a good mother. The fact that you are seeking help makes you a wonderful mother. Stick with it, you will be okay. You are doing the right thing. Get away from him. You don’t deserve to be put down by him. Hold your head up and realize that you are worth more than that. I believe in you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May the Lord bless you and keep you. Shalom.

6. matkakulfi says:

some how these two statements do not make any sense. If 97 attackers walk away unscathed wouldn’t there be an increase in SA as the system is allowing perpetrators to walk away unscathed how ever, in point 10 you suggest that the instance of the SA has decreased by nearly 60 percent how in the world did you reach these figure?

7. Jen says:

I’m a beginner hairdresser. My husband’s friend and coworker of 10 yrs came home from being away a few monthscand wanted me to do his hair before his welcome home party. I told him to go to where I’d be but he stated it would be easier to do in his garage because I would be out of the way. I agreed after some thought because it’s his parents’ home and his sisters would be there. When I got there, he helped bring my supplies in then hugged me, very tight that I became uncomfortable. He kept putting of cutting hair to just “chill and talk and catch up”. He confessed his feelings to me and became aggressive. I tried to leave but he blocked me. He then groped and touched and put his lips on me all the while telling me to shush when I kept telling him to stop and no. He didn’t want his sisters to hear us. He finally stopped when he noticed me crying. He was so strong, I couldn’t move my legs to keep him from touching me or my arms to push him off. I’ve been so sick to my stomach. I have no one to talk to so I can move on from this. I can’t afford a counselor. I don’t want to report it because too many other people will be affected. I just want it to go away so I can stop crying and be happy again.

• HotlineAdmin_CO says:

It takes plenty of strength and courage to share you story here. Thank you for reaching out. You are not alone and there is help. At The Hotline advocates can help look for counseling resources in your area that are free of charge and focus on domestic violence along with sexual violence. You can reach The Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 and at anytime since The Hotline is available 24 hours a day.