National Domestic Violence Hotline Awareness

The Hotline Turns 16

Today we celebrate our 16 year anniversary. We are thankful that we have been able to help victims of domestic violence for the past decade and a half.

The Hotline was founded in 1996 as part of the Violence Against Women Act passed by Congress. The Hotline is the only national domestic violence hotline that has access to more than 4,500 shelters and domestic violence programs throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Each month, The Hotline’s advocates receive approximately 23,500 calls. We operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in more than 170 languages through interpreter services, with a TTY line available for the Deaf, Deaf-Blind and Hard of Hearing. We are toll-free, confidential and anonymous.

The Hotline currently has about 85 staff members, both paid and volunteer. Of those employees, 12 have been at The Hotline for over 10 years, including one of our volunteers.

We have been featured in many magazines and television shows (reaching a variety of different demographics), including (but not limited to): Oprah, Dr. Phil, Maury Povich, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne, Nancy Grace, Larry King, Judge Pirro, Tyra Banks, Montel, Good Morning America, Despierta America, 20/20, MTV’s 16 & Pregnant, Redbook, Glamour, Essence, Ebony and Teen Vogue.

We are proud of the past 16 years and feel grateful for the chance to make a difference in the lives of men and women living with domestic violence. We would like to thank all of our supporters and volunteers for helping us — we couldn’t do it without you. We look forward to our future work, and hope that you will join with us in promoting healthy relationships and spreading the word that violence is unacceptable.

1. wanda b says:

Thank you for being here for those of us who need you. I weep as I read this simply to know that for so many years a part of our society has been so sick to be on the giving end and the receiving end of domestic violence. To me ALL violence is violence whether it happens in the home or to someone in A home. To understand that we are all victims is very sad. But sure appreciate your presence and all of your help over the years.

2. Christy Hollifield says:

Domestic Violence…..I hope I can reach out to anybody out there…..I know what you are going through…..The reason for all the wallls I put up…….My broken heart…….Worst part is realizing that he doesn’t love you and you love him more than anything……walking on egg shells…….sheilding your heart and body…..No matter what he says He WILL DO IT AGAIN…….The next time you may not be so lucky…..I live for my kids …..No more broken promises…..No more hiding…….No more bruises…….I LIVED and so can you…..pick yourself off the floor and reach out to anybody…..just reach out……someone will catch you……I am stronger than I realized and if you are going through this you will be stronger too. Just walk away and never look back…..Easier said than done I know…but you have to save yourself because no one else will…..A broken heart will mend but a stopped heart won’t…..Take my advice because I have walked in those shoes…..Noone will ever hurt me again…I broke the cycle…..Will you?

Christy,

Thank you for the empowering story you shared with our blog readers. I hear an amazing amount of strength in your words and I am sure others will as well. It is great that you and your children are in a safer environment. Take care.

Hotlineadvocate_MB

3. Virginia says:

DEAR HOTLINE:

I have a horrific story to share with women having to do with years of physical abuse.
    (My first husband would beat me with a belt if I was not home for sex with him on the
    prescribed days and times). His jealously was unbelievable. When I attempted to leave the
    relationship it nearly cost me my life and it did cost the lives of two men, one for sitting
    next to me at the same table, and the other who came to my aid and was shot in the
    back with a shotgun for his trouble. He later committed suicide. My ex-husband, still living, has
    been in prison for the past 30+ years. The guilt and PTS associated with the events,
    effected the next couple of decades of my life as I attempted to deal with the pain by self-medicating
    drinking and I was arrested 5 times for drinking and driving, which led me to 2 prison sentences.

I am now living with my third husband, who has taken several
    years to convince me my story may save someones life and
    it needs to be told.

I am a senior cook and dietitian at a local hospital. I no longer
    drink, smoke or gamble, all compulsive behaviors that I believe
    were a direct result of what I went through.

It has taken me years to get to this place, I believe I am ready
    now to start sharing my story with other women. I believe it will
    help motivate hundreds of women, maybe more, to take action.

If you’ve suffered any abuse at all at the hands of another. Call
    the hotline here today. Don’t live with it another day. 1-800-799-7233.
    IT’S NOT WORTH A LIFE-TIME OF PAIN, SUFFERING AND GUILT

I am interested in putting up a video for use by this hotline on your
    internet search pages as well as your website, if your willing to
    cover my cost of production and travel to produce it. Please
    contact me at my website above. I am also looking for someone
    to help me co-author my story. THE VIRGINIA STORY
    Look for it coming soon on YOUTUBE. Thank You.

Sincerely,

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you for sharing your story with our blog. Numerous readers comment on how helpful it is to hear that they are not alone. I’m sorry that you had to endure terrible acts of violence, you did not deserve any of it. It sounds like you have met a man who treats you with the respect and love you deserve. It’s wonderful that you want to want to share your voice through a book and video, I’m sure it will be beneficial to those experiencing abuse and even the survivors.

I deleted your last name for safety reasons. If you would like to talk to our blog team about writing an expanded version of your story on our blog, please call us at 1-800-799-7233 for more information.

Hotlineadvocate_MB

4. clara says:

please someone out there i need someone to talk my nameis clara i need to get out if here i called the police manyof time and went to an domestic violience for women . iamin a bind

Clara,

It sounds like you are in need of immediate assistance. Please call The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 as soon as you are able. Advocates are there 24/7 to answer your call and help you figure out your options.

I deleted your last name for your safety.

Hotlineadvocate_MB

5. Kayla says:

I am in an extremely bad situatio. The man that I am with has stopped me from getting a job and gets violently angry if I even try to go somewhere without him. I am pregnant with my third child and am scared for my children and myself. I have reached out for help but have absolutely no family down here and cant seem to find help anywhere becaause I have no money and two small children. I have no support system and feel constantly scared and unhappy I need help badly

• HotlineAdmin_CH says:

Kayla,
      I’m glad you contacted our blog as it seems you are in a scary situation. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and ask for help. Here at the hotline we have a database filled with domestic violence resources all across the country. If you are able to give us a call, we would be happy to explore options with you and help you develop a plan to get out safely. Advocates are standing by 24/7 ready to assist you whenever you can get to a safe place to talk; our number is 800-799-7233. Just know that you are not alone and we are here to help.

HotlineAdvocate_CH