Domestic Violence Awareness Month

President Obama Issues Domestic Violence Awareness Month Proclamation

Today, President Obama issued a presidential proclamation declaring October 2011 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month and urging Americans to speak out against domestic violence. President Obama specifically mentioned The Hotline as a resource to help victims and survivors. Please read the excerpt below, and find the entire proclamation on whitehouse.gov:

During Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we recognize the significant achievements we have made in reducing domestic violence in America, and we recommit ourselves to the important work still before us.  Despite tremendous progress, an average of three women in America die as a result of domestic violence each day.  One in four women and one in thirteen men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.  These statistics are even more sobering when we consider that domestic violence often goes unreported.

The ramifications of domestic violence are staggering.  Young women are among the most vulnerable, suffering the highest rates of intimate partner violence.  Exposure to domestic violence puts our young men and women in danger of long-term physical, psychological, and emotional harm.  Children who experience domestic violence are at a higher risk for failure in school, emotional disorders, and substance abuse, and are more likely to perpetuate the cycle of violence themselves later in life.

1. janie says:

This is good news that our President see how important this subject is.. and it’s right on time because it’s also Breast Cancer Month.

2. Therese ☮ & ♥ says:

I’m so very happy to see this!! Am sharing with everyone I know! Being a victim of Criminal Domestic Violence myself, (I was shot between the eyes, Literally!) I have devoted my Life’s Work to promote Change and help BREAK THE SILENCE! STOP THE VIOLENCE! ☮ & ♥

3. Hotlineadvocate_MB says:

Therese,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and support in regards to domestic violence. It sounds like you were in a terrible situation, but found a way to get safe and use your experience to educate and promote a life without violence. Thank you for contacting us.

Hotlineadvocate_MB

4. Stephanie says:

oh wow… i was in a situation similar to that but never got shot but i’m sure that was the next thing.. How did you find groups in your area to speak out about domestic violence?

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Stephanie,
      I went ahead and removed your email address for safety reasons, in accordance with our community guidelines which can be found here http://www.thehotline.org/community-guidelines. You are always welcome to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential. An advocate on the Hotline could look up local domestic violence agencies in your area, who may be able to talk to you about how to get involved or volunteer.

HotlineAdvocate_RE

5. michelle says:

OUR PRESIDENT LIES HE DOES NOT CARE IF CHILDREN ARE ABUSED..TRUST ME I WROTE HIM 16 LETTERS THAT I WAS BEATEN KICKED IN THE STOMACH WHILE PREGNANT,SHOT GUN HELD TO MY FACE,, THIS MAN BEAT MY 2 YR OLD AND BURNT HIM WITH A CIGGERETTE…OBAMA DES NOT CARE… HE DOESNT CARE I SENT HIM PHOTOS OF THIS ABUSE…

6. michelle says:

THIS IS A DISGRACE.. OBAMA PRETENDS TO BE A FAMILY MAN ITS ALL A BIG CROCK F CRAP.. MY ALMOST 3 YEAR OLD ALMOST DIED IN A ABUSERS CARE..HE IS STILL THERE BECAUSE OBAMA DOES NOT CARE.. I WROTE 16 LETTERS I MAILED HIM PHOTOS OF THE ABUSE . HE SAID TOUGH CRAP LADY .. MY HUSBAND ACUTALLY BURNT THIS CHILD WITH A CIGGERETTE. THIS NATION BETTER WAKE UP THESE MEN LIE TO GET THAT SEAT IN THE WHITE HOUSE THEY DO NOT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOU OR YOUR PROBLEMS SO DONT KID YOURSELVES…….

7. Carolyn Lee says:

I am a survivor of physical, verbal, & emotional abuse by my mother (actually tried to kill me twice); the
    counselor said the terminology for the way my mother treated me was “soul murder”. I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire when I married a man who turned out to be an abusive alcoholic. Strangely
    enough, my counselor said that also isn’t uncommon-as abuse victims have such low self-esteem they
    make poor choices. The bright side–I am a survivor!! It took years, but I ‘detached’ from my mother;my
    husband did get sober & I looked in the mirror and said, “No more! I’m OK, I’m a good person & I’m not
    a door mat any more!” It’s been an interesting path, but the end result is sooo worth the effort. I like who
    I am today, & never dreamed I’dbe able to say anything like that. As far as Obama–honey,the change has to start with YOU. I’m sorry if that sounds cruel or snotty, but I know for a fact that you have to at least
    start the ‘rescue’ wheels in motion yourself. That’s where the self-esteem comes from! “I did it!” just
    feels so much better than so-and-so did it for me, because I couldn’t. Think about it.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Shoot Through The Flower: The Reason Many Women Take Writing Workshopsin EssaysOctober 2011 is Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Why It Still MattersA while back, or per­haps it was more than a few years ago, we all became […]

2. […] you know the month of October is not only the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month but also the National Domestic Violence Awareness Month? When I drive home at night I can see the Chicago skyline lit up with pink lights, and one shorter […]