The most popular gifts loved ones give each other for Valentine’s day are roses, chocolates and jewelry. Yes, it is nice to get the flowers and treats, but it is also nice to know that you are in a loving and secure relationship. The best gift you can give a loved one is the gift of a healthy relationship year-round.
Here are some tips to a healthy relationship:
- Be respectful, thoughtful and kind. This sounds simple enough but there are times when our own emotions get in the way and we take out our stress and anger on those we love.
- Be honest and talk openly with each other if something is bothering you. If there is conflict, see if there is a compromise that suits you both.
- Be supportive of each other’s successes and also be there for one another when things don’t go quite right.
- Maintain your own identities and spend some time apart so that you do not become dependent on each other and isolated from friends and family.
If you’re a parent, remember that maintaining a healthy relationship is also good for your children. They mimic what they see at home so show them through your own relationship what they should look for in a partner. It is never too early to talk with your children about how to develop a healthy relationship.
Consider these goals for teaching your children about relationships:
- Ensure they respect other people and other people’s property.
- Show them how to address a situation that makes them angry without using violence or angry words.
- If they have a problem with a friend, talk to them about compromises.
- Teach them that there are consequences for our actions. Kids need to know this, even at an early age.
There is no such thing as a perfect relationship but you should strive for a healthy relationship that makes you happy and doesn’t cause you an inordinate amount of stress. Everyone deserves love, dignity and respect in their relationship.
Happy Valentine’s Day!