National Domestic Violence Hotline Awareness

It’s Time to Talk: Awareness Day Brings Much Needed Attention to Domestic Violence

Every year, Liz Claiborne Inc. holds a media day called It’s Time to Talk Day. The day includes opportunities for print and radio outlets to generate a dialogue about domestic violence. Last year, the event was held in New York City on December 8 at the Liz Claiborne headquarters, where showrooms were transformed into “Talk Radio Row,” allowing talk shows hosts to broadcast programs throughout the day with special guests from various domestic violence organizations, corporations and foundations.

Two advocates from The Hotline and loveisrespect attended the events and participated in the Radio Row interviews to bring awareness to the issue and to ensure that people know there is a place to call for help. In addition to advocates speaking out, celebrities such as Tim Gunn and actress Stephanie March took part in the 7th annual It’s Time to Talk Day.

A special screening of the documentary “Telling Amy’s Story” was held prior to ITTTD as a kick-off of the day. Our advocates who attended share their recollections of the event:

From Melissa Kaufman, Volunteer and Training Coordinator for The Hotline and loveisrespect

Our whirlwind trip to New York City started with a viewing of “Telling Amy’s Story,” the documentary from Verizon which follows the timeline of a domestic violence homicide that occurred on November 8, 2001. The viewing was emceed by the co-host of the Today show, Meredith Vieira, and we were able to visit with Meredith and a few others before entering the theater to watch the film.

After the movie was over, we exited the theater into the freezing cold NYC night and walked back to our hotel to get some rest before our next adventure. The following morning, we woke up at 5 a.m., got ready and walked to the Liz Claiborne headquarters for the annual It’s Time to Talk Day. The only people out that early with us on our walk were the street vendors preparing for the day and delivery drivers. We spent the next three hours at Liz Claiborne talking to advocates and experts in the domestic violence field and conducting interviews with a panel of radio hosts and bloggers. It was pretty exciting to be surrounded by the amazing women and men who are doing such tremendous work around teen dating abuse and domestic violence.

So much awareness still needs to be raised around this issue and I hope our time there helped spread the word about the help that is out there for victims at The Hotline and loveisrespect.

From Diane Perez, Hotline Advocate

This year, I had the great opportunity to attend the Liz Claiborne’s It’s Time to Talk Day, which started with a screening of “Telling Amy’s Story” the evening before. I had already seen the documentary but regardless how many times you see it, it’s still just as powerful each time. Meredith Vieira with NBC’s Today emceed the screening, and shared with everyone there that she was a survivor of domestic violence in her college years. I thought it took a lot of courage to tell her story because with domestic violence there is always a lot of shame involved. Meredith sharing her story was powerful because it really speaks to the reality that domestic violence does not discriminate against anyone from any background, and that domestic violence is not just a poor community issue but that it is an epidemic in our country. The next day at the It’s Time to Talk Day event was just as powerful with so many people involved in sharing their voices and speaking up about domestic violence.

Information is power and as long as we keep educating and speaking out, we can shine a light on something that can often times be very isolating and lonely.

To learn more about It’s Time to Talk Day, please watch the video below.

It’s Time to Talk Day from Elizabeth Davies on Vimeo.

Photos from the event:

Bookmark and Share

1. RHODA says:

TOPIC: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BEING ‘USED’ AS A POLITICAL AGENDA!!
    RHODA F.: SENIOR: CERTIFIED DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ADVISOR

I AM A SENIOR OF 74 YEARS OLD AND STILL IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND AND PARTNER WHO IS 76 – WE ARE MARRIED 56 YEARS, BLESSED WITH CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN – HOWEVER WE CANNOT SEE OUR FAMILY TOGETHER!

OUR LIVES HAS BECOME SHATTERED AND DESPERATE! DUE TO A NEIGHBOR PHONING THE BEAVERTON POLICE REGULARLY – THE POLICE CAME TO OUR APARTMENT AND ARRESTED ME FOR ABUSE AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST MY HUSBAND – THERE WAS ‘NO EVIDENCE’ AND NOTHING THIS NEIGHBOR ACCUSED WAS TRUE! THE POLICE SEPARATED MY HUSBAND AND I IMMEDIATELY AND TRIED TO INSTILL FEAR INTO BOTH OF US. I REFUSED TO SPEAK WITH THEM (THREE: POLICEWOMAN & 2 POLICEMEN) AND WHEN THEY ARRESTED ME, I ASKED TO SPEAK WITH AN ATTORNEY AND WAS REFUSED

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN DRIVEN APART AND WE CANNOT HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER – THIS IS WHAT IS GOING ON IN OREGON.

THE POLITICALIZATION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

THE WHEEL AND WIND HAVE TURNED AND NOW DISTRICT ATTORNEYS ARE USING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE FOR THEIR OWN POLITICAL PURPOSES

MY HUSBAND IS NOW HOMELESS DUE TO SERIOUS FINANCIAL BURDENS AND WHEN WE NEED EACH OTHER THE MOST FOR LOVING SUPPORT AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT – WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE AND OR BE WITH EACH OTHER! MY HUSBAND HAS A HEART CONDITION AND HIS DOCTOR HAS CONTACTED THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY TO ADVISE THAT RHODA AND ROBERT F. SHOULD LIVE OUT THEIR LIVES TOGETHER!

WHO ARE THESE MEN AND WOMEN OF AUTHORITY WHO CAN AND WILL STEP INTO PEOPLE’S LIVES AND SHATTER THEM????

WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO HIRE ATTORNEY’S BUT WE ARE NOT FINANCIALLY EQUIPPED TO DO SO – WE NEED HELP DESPERATELY AND IMMEDIATELY

PLEASE HELP BOTH OF US – WE MUST SPEAK WITH BOTH CRIMINAL AND CIVIL ATTORNEYS WHO WILL BE WILLING TO HELP US NOW

PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR THE DETAILS OF THIS HORRIFYING STORY:

RHODA F.

2. Nina says:

I have been told by several people to send this to you to see if you would be interested in adding it to your site. PLEASE just take 3 minutes of your time to check it out. I think it will move you.

This song is called “Living A Mistake” I have been contacted by countless women since posting it to share with me their stories of their own DV experiences.

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Nina

3. kkrastin says:

Nina:

That is indeed a well done video and song. Did you write the song/music yourself as well? It is just so beautifully written and appears to be written from the heart.

NDVH Advocate_kk

PS I removed your last name only to keep you within the guidelines of the blog site.

4. rossie says:

am 22 years old and Ive been living with my boyfriend since i was 14 and am in a domestic violence relationship. i don’t have my family to support me. my mother left me alone when i was 2 months i lived with my grandparents. i met my boyfriend when i was 10 years old. the first time he hit me i was confused i never thought that him the person i love with all my heart the person i gave up everything for would ever lay i hand on me. but i stayed he puts me down all the time i was surprise when he let me go get a career. i studied for medical assistant but unfortunate i havent been able to get a job. this is the first time i ever look for domestic violence website. i really need to get out he hits me all the time.the only one knows what i live is my sister in law and like me she fears for my life.how do i take the first big major step to get out?where do i go to get help? i dont want to come back my head screams leave rossie before he kills you with a wrong hit on the head,but my heart doesnt let me.please whats my first step to overcome this nightmare i cant wait up from

5. HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Rossie,
    I’m really glad that you decided to reach out for help. I think you have taken a big first step in finding help for yourself, even just by contacting our blog. Talking about the abuse that you’ve experienced at the hands of your partner can be difficult, but it is also empowering you to end that silence and make a change. You deserve support. It is up to you what you want to do, but if you want to find a way to safely leave the relationship, there are definitely services available that might be able to help you. You do not deserve to be abused like this. Love shouldn’t hurt. You are always welcome to call the Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE. An advocate would be able to safety plan with you and get you connected to local resources for support. We can talk with you about the steps that you can take to safely find a way out. We are available 24/7 and everything is anonymous and confidential. Please call when you get a safe chance to talk.

NDVH Advocate_RE

6. Nicole says:

I just left an abusive marriage after 3 1/2 years. I felt ashamed and even though I knew it wasn’t my fault I felt it was. I thought if I just didn’t mess up or kept him happy the happy moments would last. I blamed myself because all the signs were there from the beginning but I wanted to be loved and in a marriage that I ignored the signs and proceeded. It started with shouting, then name calling, kicking my car and kicking me out then progressed. He would say such terrible things. I knew I had to leave the relationship when in the Fall of 2010 I suffered a miscarriage. My breaking point was when he screamed at me because I wouldn’t buy him a soda and he said, “I hate you, I hope you die, I don’t want you having any of my children, I hope you die while you’re giving birth, I don’t want anymore children with you!” I knew I had to leave but I had no job and our lease wasn’t being renewed. I made a plan and a pact with God to guide me and I would leave this situation once and for all. So we moved to a new place, I found a job and I promised myself the next time he touched me it would be the end. November of 2011 he started and argument and jumped on me and I called the police and had him arrested. I have a 2-year restraining order and unlike other times, I don’t talk to him or break it. I know that my children and me deserve better. It was so hard because I didn’t want to accept for so many years that I was being abused. I kept dreaming and seeing things the way I hoped they would be. I would make excuses and I began to isolate myself from others. I gained weight and I began to believe the cruel things he said. I felt worthless and so ashamed. It use to be hard to think of a life without him but this past holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the best. I don’t cringe anymore on the days he normally would have off. I no longer get anxious and my stomach doesn’t turn at the time he normally would get off of work. I don’t have to hide things in my car or always keep my phone on me so I don’t upset him and miss his call. I don’t have answer to anyone about where I was or what I was doing or the phone doesn’t ring when I leave questioning when I’ll be back. I don’t have to feel guilty about buying things for my house, myself or children. I don’t have to be yelled at regularly or called the B word so much that I feel numb and immune to it. I’m free. I thank God everyday that I am free and I have a chance now to lead a happy and normal life. I’m not living on egg shells and jumping everytime I hear someone coming up the stairs. Financially it’s hard but I am so grateful for the support of my family and the blessings that God has given me. I would tell anyone, please get out of an abusive relationship. There’s help. There are shelters and people to support you. Please don’t stay, you don’t deserve to be treated like you are worthless and the property of someone else. It’s so scary and hard but you can’t break free! My greatest regret is that our daughter had to witness the abuse her entire first 2 years of life. All she ever heard was shouting and name calling and anger. I take pride in knowing that the abuse was our past and with counseling and support she will have a bright future and I can give her the support she needs so she doesn’t choose a violent partner like her Father. I want better for my son and daughter and I know that leaving my husband was the best thing I could have done for all of our futures.

• HotlineAdmin_RE says:

Nicole,
      Thank you for sharing your story with our Share Your Voice blog community. I am glad to hear that you and your children are safely out of your abusive relationship, and are moving foward with your lives. It took alot of courage to leave and to stay out of the relationship. As you know, there are many reasons why someone would chose to stay, whether it’s for financial or other reasons. But you are right, there is help available. You are always welcome to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline if you need to speak with an advocate or find resources for local counseling. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential.

HotlineAdvocate_RE

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Elin Stebbins Waldal. Elin Stebbins Waldal said: RT @jarandel It’s Time to Talk: Awareness Day Brings Attention to Domestic Violence « National Domestic Violence Hotline http://t.co/0b8xvnr […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alfreda Calbert, Nat'l DV Hotline. Nat'l DV Hotline said: We think every day should be a time to talk about domestic violence. A look back at ITTTD '10 from our advocates. http://bit.ly/htpW8S […]